Sunday, July 1, 2012

Must Haves vs. Nice to Haves

I made a lot of mistakes when I started buying pots and pans for my kitchen.  The first set that I bought was my Sophomore year of college when I moved into a dorm with a fully functioning kitchen.  I purchased what I thought was an absolute "must have".  I bought a 10-piece cookware set from K-Mart for about $20.  It had all the pieces in the set pictured below.

I did not use them excessively, in fact, I doubt that I used them more than four times a week.  However, by the time I moved into my first apartment the following year, it was time for a new set.  This time I got one from Walmart.  Another year went by and another set was needed and I purchased it from Target.  Within three years, I'd run through 30 or more pieces of cookware and roughly $80.  It was a total waste of money. 

  

It finally dawned on me that the pots and pans that were still in good condition were all cast-iron hand-me-downs that I got from my mother.  They did not look pretty.  Yet, I had the best results when I used them.  Immediately I rushed to Bed, Bath, and Beyond with my 20% off coupon.  I envisioned that I'd start with the basics.  I'd get a dutch oven, a quart sauce pan, a skillet, and an 8x11 roaster for approximately $50.


I nearly ran out of the store when I saw those prices.  I knew where to go if I needed to find an awesome deal.  I went to a local thrift store and looked for good quality, heavy cookware.  While I wasn't able to find any cast iron that day,  I was able to  get a heavy frying pan that must have been made when my mom was in grade school and a brand new glass 8x11 roaster for $8.  They looked beat up and well used.  After I gave them a good scrubbing I fell in love.  

Beautiful cookware that matches is:

NICE TO HAVE


 


Functional cookware that will last for years and years is: 

A MUST HAVE




Smooches!


No comments:

Post a Comment