Monday, July 16, 2012

"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."





One thing that I've learned about myself is that food is a huge motivator.  Apparently, my loved ones were aware of that long before I came to that epiphany.  For a long time I was unaware that I was being manipulated by my loved ones.  I happily went along with each request and looked forward to my hearty reward afterward.  Someone could ask me to paint their whole house and promise me free entry into a crab crack and I'd probably work all day without complaint.  


One day my mother called to tell me that she was making liver, gravy, onions, and rice.  This may not sound like a mouth-watering meal, but you've never had my mom's liver and onions.  Anyway, she asked me if I wanted to come over to get a plate of food.  I was already looking for my keys by then so I assured her that I'd be there in no time.  


This was in the early 2000s when Bluetooth headsets and cellphones weren't given to people straight out the womb.  So, when I forgot to end the call on my headset and my mother forgot to end the call on her cell phone, I heard her telling my father that she was going to trick me into doing chores.  I was livid!  She even had the audacity to laugh at her cunning ways.  Right then I made up my mind to hang up and call her right back to tell her I'd changed my mind.  I would not be coming to her house after all.  However, I heard her mentioning food again.  




All was forgotten.  




I did the chores.  




I got my treat.



Smooches!

No comments:

Post a Comment