Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Whars Da Beef?

As I'm trying to become healthier, I've been substituting some ingredients or adding things to increase the healthfulness (is that even a word?!) of my food.  Many of the recipes that include beef often tell you to use lean turkey instead.  Well, that may be okay for some, but many times I end up asking myself, "Where's the beef?"




I used to get a kick out of this commercial.  This woman was serious about her beef and she needed answers...STAT!  If you've never seen this commercial, take a moment to check it out now.



Meatloaf was one of the first recipes that I tried to substitute turkey for beef.  Honestly, when it was fresh out of the oven and drizzled in low-sodium gravy, it was delicious.  However, it was rock hard the next day.  I've tried all sorts of tips to keep the ground turkey moist, but it just doesn't work.  I've been using ground white turkey, but I suspect that other people are using ground dark turkey for their recipes.  They don't sell that in any of the stores in my area, but maybe they have it elsewhere.

I found a meatloaf recipe in the Extreme Fat Smash Diet book by Dr. Ian K. Smith.  It was right on the money and very delicious.  It allows you to mix in lean ground beef.  I've modified it slightly but I can honestly say that I don't miss regular meatloaf at all.

Ingredients

1 Pound of ground chuck (90% lean)
1 Pound of ground turkey  (ground chicken is just as tasty)
1/2 Cup of Egg Beaters
2 Tablespoons of tomato paste or ketchup
1 Small white onion diced finely
1 Snack pack of baby carrots diced finely
1/4 cup of celery diced finely
1 Tablespoon of Italian seasoning
2 Tablespoons of Italian croutons crushed into breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper to taste



Try our slideshow creator at Animoto.


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with your hands (gloved if you have long nails)

3. Form the mixture into four small loaves

4. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet for 35-45 minutes, or until the juices bubbling around the loaves run clear.


Smooches!

No comments:

Post a Comment