Thursday, June 28, 2012

Taco Salad

Ingredients:

1/4 cup of shredded low-fat/fat-free cheddar cheese (or whatever shredded cheese you have on hand)
2 cups of salsa
4 cups of shredded lettuce
1/2 can of black beans (drained)
1/2 can of pinto beans (drained)
1/2 can of corn (drained)
1/4 lb lean ground beef
1/4 tomato (diced)
1/4 onion (diced)
Sliced jalapeño peppers (optional)
1 cup of water
Tortilla chips
Low-fat sour cream
Taco seasoning/black pepper/Ms. Dash (or salt) to taste




Try our slideshow creator at Animoto.


-Brown and drain meat.  Rinse under water to remove excess grease and fat and then put back into pot and sprinkle with all seasoning.
-Add corn, black beans, pinto beans, and 1 cup of water.

-Use a fork to separate meat and mash beans
-Let simmer until liquid starts to evaporate.  It normally takes 10 minutes or less.

To assemble:

-Add a layer of tortilla chips. 
-I didn't have any shredded lettuce so I used my kitchen scissors to cut up some bagged lettuce.  Place your lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on top of the chips.
-Top with tomatoes and onions
-Add one serving spoon worth of your meat/bean/corn mix
-I had one serving left of mozzarella cheese in my fridge so I used that instead of the cheddar.  Place your cheese on top of your meat and add salsa and sour cream.  If you like spicy food you can add some jalapeño slices for an extra kick.


This recipe will make about 4-5 servings depending on how much you pile on your plate.  To help me stay within the calorie range that I set for my diet, I simply use the serving recommendations on the packages that I used to cook. 

This recipe literally takes 20 minutes to make and it is so delicious and filling.  It's healthier for you because of the leaner ground beef and because you're using low-fat cheese and sour cream.  Your salsa and veggies barely add any calories and you're getting all the nutritional value of the beans. 

I actually enjoyed this meal while watching the NBA finals with my father.  We were so disappointed that the OKC Thunder lost, but at least our stomachs were smiling.


Smooches!

No comments:

Post a Comment