Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Broke Food Chronicles

Dear Akoma,

I am so broke and don't know how I'm going to be able to eat today.  I have a few things in my house to work with, but I only have $5 to feed myself for the whole day.  My refrigerator, freezer, and pantry are looking bare.  This is what I have to work with:





I've got oatmeal, coffee, a few eggs, an assortment of canned vegetables, a bag of mini-popcorn, a stick of butter, half a bag of pepper stir-fry, half a pouch of tuna and two slices of bread.  I'm short on time and creativity.  I don't know how to pull this off.   Can you help me?

---Empty Purse in Athens, GA




Dear Empty Purse,

 Don't fret!  I have some wonderful ideas that will help you get through the day.

Breakfast:


1 bowl of oatmeal, flavored with butter
1 cup of coffee

Buy: 1 orange from your convenience store @ 3/$1.  You can also ask them if they mind if you take a few packets of sugar for your oatmeal and coffee.  They usually don't mind.

Grand total for breakfast: $0.33
  
Snack:

Mini-bag of popcorn

Grand total for a midday snack: $0.00

Lunch:

1/2 pouch of tuna
1 boiled egg

Buy: A salad from McDonalds $1 menu and add the tuna and boiled egg you brought from home.


Grand total for lunch: $1.00


Dinner:


1 can of vegetables (Any from your assortment will work, but I will use sweet peas as an example)
1/2 bag of stir-fry

Buy: One package of chicken wings from your market.  You can usually find small ones for $3 or less.

I'm sure that you have some seasoning in your house.  Use whatever you like on the chicken to season (salt, pepper, garlic, etc.).  Bake the chicken in the oven covered with the remainder of your pepper stir-fry. Warm your peas in the microwave or on the stove.  The only thing you'll need to add flavor is butter.

Grand total for dinner: $3.00


Evening snack:


1 slice of toasted bread w/ butter

Grand total for evening snack: $0.00


This whole day will cost you less than $5.00 even when you include taxes.  As an added bonus, those small packages of wings usually have 6 pieces so you'll have leftovers for another day.


Smooches!



No comments:

Post a Comment